Re: Student homework

Martin,
=09In my answers on the list I did not make it clear that I usually=20
answer lower grade children directly. I do direct them to thier librarian=
=20
and other sources, but often answer them just so they know that we care.=20
It is the college students, particularly those in geology that I send=20
immediately to the card catalog, abstracts and computer catalogs. In 8=20
thru 12 I often suggest the "Readers Guide to Periodical Literature" with=
=20
an aside to go to the local community college or univ libe if possible. I=
=20
find it hard to believe that there are schools in the US and Canada that=20
are too impoverished to have a school librarian and inter-library loan.=20
If I am wrong, please inform me (and us) but with facts, not gut feeking,=
=20
This is addressed to all, Martin, not just to youi in spite of the=20
salutation.
=09Maybe the following tidbit from my someday autobiography will=20
express my attitude a little better;
=09
=09      My photography progressed to where I wanted to make flash
=09 photos, the latest thing in Popular Science magazine! I wrote a
=09 long letter to Doc Edgerton, the author of an article on the
=09 subject. Not only did I get a nice letter back, but strong
=09 encouragement and a complete set of plans for a flash rig. That
=09 cost me dearly in years to come.

=09      Now whenever I get a request from some young person for "some
=09 ocean and a boat and a shark and some books about the sea", after
=09 I crumple it up and throw it in the wastebasket, I remember
=09 Doc's kindness, fish the letter out, open it and answer it as best
=09 I can, always remembering to give the kid the encouragement Doc
=09 gave me. It has cost me hundreds of hours but somewhere up there
=09 Doc Edgerton is chucking on his little white cloud!!

=09Sorry for occupying so much bandwidth and valuable time but I had=20
to say this in self defense. I'll bet I've aanswered 100 such requests in=
=20
4=AB months and from three main newsgroups.

Diving Dinosaur, Geologist/Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer, 43 years SCUBA
mcallist@gate.net (305) 426-0808, Author Diving Locations, Boynton/Dania