Re; Deinonychus etc

I wholeheartedly agree with bith Vickie's analysis of the growing problem of
students seeking the short cut to doing their own research. Apparently, I am
not the only one who has been mulling over this issue and feel the same way
as Larry and Vickie do. There seems to be a disturbing increase in elementary
thru secondary-aged
students who either knowingly or unknowingly want ther homework done for them
viz a viz this list. A second problem is the mail box clutter that is a
natural consequence of the original problem.  Thirdly, what are we going to
do about it, if we can do anything at all?

 It would seem that maybe we could contribute "Dino FAQS" (I know this was
suggested before but I don't remember who?) to a central locus that we can
direct all school-age inquiries to. This would take some time in order to
cover most of the popular genera and could also include "stuff' about the K-T
extinction (my personal favorite) from various points of view (both pro and
con as well as from the various disciplines), paleobiology, paleobotany,
geology as related to dinosaurs etc. These "Dino FAQS" would have to be
fairly short and sweet and submittals could be "peer reviewed" by the members
of this list in order to reach a general consensus as to it's suitability for
the intended audience. Sounds like alot of time and too much work even to me!
 Or we could either ignor the request and hope it goes away or poilitely
encourage to "look it up!" as my parents used to say.
Finally, I hope that by addressing this issue in the manner that I have will
preempt any thoughts of "snobbery" or "eliteism" by anyone out there who may
have a predilection to reach such conclusions. These kids will not learn nor
will they develop good study skills if everything is handed to them on a
silver platter!

                                   Regards,
                                   Thomas R. Lipka
                                   Paleontological/Geological Studies