Two ideas that may ruffle feathers

Hi gang,
        From a dinolurker I would like to get some people mad at me. I
hear a lot of flames directed at Bob Bakker. However there is no denying
that he, like Jacques Cousteau, has caught the public attention and in
that respect, done a great deal for vertebrate paleontology. People read
his ideas and because they are couched in popular language, they do not
toss them aside. We need the popularizers and the hard core scientists.
Some of Bakkers ideas have caused us to look at hot bloodedness,
coloration, dino sex, etc, moreso than others who suggested the same
things because he is colorful and assertive.
        I recommend that we all do a bit more popularizing of the
discipline to get some support from the taxpayer who eventually pays the tab.
        I just finished MacDonalds book on the Permian trackways of the
Robledo Mts of New Mexico. While he dwells a bit too much on his
tribulations, as a sociologist I suppose, the book is excellent and
demonstrates the need for public support. It also makes a helluva case
for ichnology? or trackway studies. In addition he gives a bunch of
books, comics etc on dinos, on trackways and on the Permian. If anyonr
wants, I'll post the full title,publisher and ISBN #. Cant do it now
cause book is in my office.

Diving Dinosaur, Geologist/Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer, 43 years SCUBA
mcallist@gate.net (305) 426-0808, Author Diving Locations, Boynton/Dania