Re: Fwd: Re: Queries

>While researching this question today, I came up with similar lists of
>dinos having carpometacarpi and tarsometatarsi.  And many theropods
>showed up as having hollow long bones, esp. Ceratosauridea
>(Ceratosaurus, Dilaphosaurus, Coelosaurus, etc.) as well as some
>Coelurasaurs.  But your statement that all theropod long bones are
>hollow was a surprise.  We have a T-rex femur that we are currently
>repairing that seems to be quite solid, as shown in the cross sections
>of several clean and not-so-clean breaks.  I don't think that it is a
>hollow bone filled with matrix as our Coelophysis long bones are.  Are
>all of the Carnosauria included in the hollow bone catagory?
>         Puzzled in Denver,
>          Virginia Tidwell

Keep on prepping - you'll find quite a well developed medullary cavity in
that femur.  A glance at the original Osborn papers on T. rex, or any one
since with a broken femora, and you'll see that they are very hollow.

And, tyrannosaurids are not, nor ever should have been, in Carnosauria.
(See J Paleo 68:1100-1117 for an update on that subject... ;-)  )

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy
MS 970 National Center