Re: FIGHT OR FLIGHT?

>Among, I would think, all prey of predators, they have two tactics for
>survival: fight or flight.  "Fight" refers to when the prey stands its guard
>and/or 'battles' the predator(s) physically or with gestures or threats.
> "Flight," not always in the literal sense, is when the prey try(s) to escape
>the predator(s), and get far away enough from the predator(s) that they know
>the predator(s) won't bother following.  Well, these are the best definitions
>I can think of.

I think the easiest way to speculate about this is to contrast dinosaurs
with animals living today. I personally think the answer is rather simple;
if an animal is quite a bit smaller than the predator, then it will
obviously try to flee. This is what most herbivores will do when attacked.
Also, you can tell a lot of from the prey's morphology; Gallimimus, and
hadrosaurs would not fight, because they could run from the scene, and if
they lived in a herd, they woudl have added protection. Animals like this
today are gazelles and antelopes. But Ceratopsians
were stockier and more heavily armed (as well as stegosaurs and
anklyosaurs) so they would have probably stood up to a marauding T. rex.
Examples of this today are the warthog and Cape Buffalo. But of course, in
most confrontations, both today and millions of years agop, the prey will
most probably flee first. It is only when they have no other option that
they will fight.

Ciao!

Ben...