Re: What do we do now?

> So the question is; presuming that the specimen never makes it to a museum
> collection, is any work which includes it in a description of species X
> admissable for a thesis and/or a publication?  Has anybody had experience of
> this sort of thing?  Are there any rules?

Yes, I have had experience of something like this, where a specimen
is not in a registered museum.  I wrote a paper on the specimen, but
was unable to designate it as a new species because it would not be
readily available for comparative research.  It is a problem, but I seem to
remeber that there is no actual rule in the ICZN (don't know about
the ICBN) that states that it is essential to have the specimen in
public ownership, just that it is highly recommended.  I haven't had
time to browse the relevant passages of the new draft ICZN that is on
the web, but I will try and do that soon.  The journal I wrote the
paper for actually called the owners of the specimen to ask if it
would be available for research by others even though it wasn't used
as a type...only figured.  I think that it is really
up to whichever journal to impose whatever restriction on the
publishing of new material, whether it should neccessarily be in
public ownership.  In an ideal world, the specimen should be in a
public institution where there is no restrictions based on the whims
of the private owner (although access is often restricted by the whims of
the public curator (within the remit and policies of the governing
body of the institution of employ, of course)!).

Neil