Re: DINO NOTES

On Tue, 7 Nov 1995 steve.cole@genie.com wrote:

 How about "non-reptile amphibians"?

There 'aint no such beast! Amphibians are now defined as all tetrapods
more closely related to modern amphibians (a monophyletic assemblage
known as the Lissamphibia)than to amniotes (Synapsids + Reptiles).
There are of course primitive members of the lineage leading to amniotes
that have  the primitive method of aquatic reproduction, they are not
however members of the Amphibia sensu stricto. True amphibians include
colosteids, temnospondyls, lissamphibians, probaly microsaurs and
possibly Nectrideans

Adam Yates
"I like temnospondyls but apart from that I'm okay"