Re: Holtz vs. dino dna

In a message dated 95-11-09 14:43:06 EST, cpretzma@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu
(Chip Pretzman) writes:

> the informative characters that link mammals and
>birds in Hedges analysis are in parts of the gene I have not been able to
>recover from the dinos that I have. The parts of the gene that I can analyse
>for a theropod and an ornithischian, show a closer relationship to mammals
>than anything else for which there is sequence.

Oddly enough, there is a way to bring archosaurs out of the synapsid lineage
morphologically, as long as it happens during the mid-Permian or so: Pretend
that the upper temporal fenestrae appeared in the archos-from-mammals lineage
independently of the diapsid lineage. Then the diapsid feature of archos
would be convergent with the diapsid feature of lepidosaurs.