Re: Triceratops

> > True, the triceratops stuff was pretty goofy. I mentioned it, among other
> > things, to stimulate discussion. The fact that a tree was lying on top of
> > one specimen probably had some influence on the preservation.
>

>Huh???  You mean they used a specimen crushed under a tree as the
>basis for their reconstruction??  No wonder it was sway-backed :-)

Well, maybe it's possible, but I doubt they'd be that silly. The S-shaped
vertebral column as they depicted it just wouldn't work either functionally
or biomechanically as far as I can tell; the fact that a tree was lying
over one specimen and that one or another one (I forgot) served as a dam
(debris was piled up along it) just makes me even more suspicious. But hey,
I work on theropods, not ceratopsians, so what do I know? :-)

                        John R. Hutchinson
                  Evolving Evolutionary Biologist
                 Department of Integrative Biology
                University of California - Berkeley
                        Berkeley, CA 94720
                          (510) 643-2109
         http://ucmp1.berkeley.edu/people/jrh/homepage.html

Check out the continually evolving exhibits at the UC Museum of Paleontology!
at: http://ucmp1.berkeley.edu/welcome.html