Re: ARE THEROPODS REALLY *THAT* STUPID?

>I am unaware of the latter, but have seen a few in-life bump-marks on a=
 fair few
>herbivore skeletons. McGowan's DS&SDs has photos of a lambeosaur with buste=
>ribs, and a ?chasmosaur (memory fails me) with a broken rib. An _Iguanodon_=
 was
>recently reported here with a neural spine that got smashed and then re-hea=
led.
>Big question is, are there any marks on ceratopsian skulls or scapulae show=
ing
>evidence of spars with other individuals? Long-horned _Bison_ managed to st=
ab
>each other in the shoulder blades when fighting, and marks are left on thei=
>bones. Same for any ceratopsian?

I can add a possible example.  The mount of _Triceratops prorsus_ (old name=
 granted)  at the Science Museum of Minnesota has a partially healed=
 puncture wound just below the left eye.  It was originally pronounced a=
 predator wound, yet the injury occurs at such a wierd angle that this=
 possibility becomes unlikely (also, I doubt if even T. Rex could bite hard=
 enough to go completely through the skull bone).  The new theory is that=
 this wound occured during an interspecies battle.  This one makes more=
 sense anyway, since the wound appeared to come from the front of the animal=
.

Today there are many species with horned females.  As an aside question, do=
 any of these run into interspecies wounds (perhaps from another female)?  I=
 know that several species of Triceratops were lumped together for various=
 reasons.  If wounds of this kind are uncommon in females, then this could=
 say that the SMM specimen is male.  I know very little about ceratopian=
 taxonomy, but could this help sort through what "species" goes where (might=
 make sense, since this group was sexually dimorphic anyway)?

=46ire at will!

Rob
***
"Icky icky icky, F'tang ZOOP boing!"