Re: couple things

In a message dated 95-11-07 18:33:21 EST, PWSPARKS@aol.com writes:

>Jerry harris replied to my suggestion that archy flew to get away. I think
>that he misunderstood what I was getting at. I'm only saying that archy flew
>away from danger (not into trees, just away). Back in my old days when I
>tried fairly unsuccessfully to hunt pheasant they would jump up and fly
>before you could get in range and fly about a quarter or half mile just to
>get away. There are no (very few ) trees in Kansas just as in the lagoons so
>I think that the metaphore holds.

Although there are many benefits that accrue to a vertebrate that evolves
flight, none is as compelling as the ability to escape predators that cannot
fly. That is the most natural extension of becoming arboreal, which is also
driven by the need to escape predation. An animal that escapes being prey,
lives to breed another day. Or something to that effect.