Sereno v. Holtz?

>> It looks like some of our subscribers and ersatz
>> subscribers are duking it out at SVP
>
>    Paul Harvey reported this as a real "fray" on his radio news, this
>morning. (My fellow drivers must have thought they were sharing Florida's
>Highway A1A on the way to Cocoa Beach with yet another maniac if they
>saw me laughing behind the steering wheel.) I can't wait to hear directly
from
>Tom!

What did he say?  What did he say?  Anybody tape it?

In any case, Sereno & I disagreed about some character coding, and of course
he's seen MUCH more of the Eoraptor and Herrerasaurus material than me (though
I hope to rectify that when some grant money comes through), but it wasn't THAT
much of a 'fight'. I think that, as dinosaur paleontologists, we've been a
pretty laid back bunch for the last few decades, so any public disagreement
gets blown out of proportion.  It was nothing like a "Leakey-Johanson"
quarell, or some of the conflicts that ensue at molecular systematics meeting.

[And, actually, I think he may be correct in his supposition, but I'd still
like to see that PCS has taken into account derived characters known from
sauropodomorphs and neotheropods but absent in Eoraptor and herrerasaurids.
All of us agree that these forms best represent morphologically the basal
conditions for Theropoda and Dinosauria.]

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland