Re: ankylosaurs

In a message dated 95-11-06 03:31:59 EST, pwillis@ozemail.com.au (Paul
Willis) writes:

> Until Ralph
>has finished his analysis, we really had better settle on thyreophoran,
>just to play it safe.

Thyreophora is a paraphyletic group, which doesn't bother me but should
irritate cladists no end. The pelvis of any stegosaur is far closer in
anatomy to the pelves of heterodontosaurids, pachycephalosaurs, and
ceratopians than it is to any scelidosaurid or ankylosaur, and indicates a
substantially closer common ancestor with the former groups than with
Ankylosauria. Don't let the armor fool you(!).

G.O.