Re: T.rex arms and Cryptoz memo

In regards to the debate about T. rex arms....

First, the fact that the anatomy of the arms is fully functional and
indicate they could move, pull, push, and grasp things, plus the fact
that they end in useful, sharp claws, strongly suggests that they were
used for *something,* and not just decorative neck charms.

I suspect the forelegs were pretty handly for *multiple* uses, despite
their size.  I have a number of small appendages (well, OK, with one
exception) on my body.  I would not call most of them vestigial nor
want to be without them.  I find Farlow's grasping-during-sex proposal
for T.rex's arms perfectly plausible.  I also think the arms could have
been used for raising the body when the animal squatted or otherwise
lowered itself (for feeding or whatever).  They also could have had at
least minimal military use, both defensive and offensive.  Last, (and I
always felt this was largely neglected) is that they would make great
toothpicks.  Whether T.rex was largely a scanvenger or a hunter, he
would have been chomping into big chunks of meat as well as thick,
tough hide and bones, etc. some of  which are bound to get stuck in the
teeth now and then, I would think.  Look at any modern meat-eaters and
you will see this occur, often followed by the animals taking using the
forpaws to help loosen the material.  Despite suggestions to the
contrary by some, I think T.rex forlegs could easily reach its own
mouth (with the head cocked inward), and that the claws would be
extremely handy for manipulating and loosening food material.  In fact,
four out of five dentists polled recommend this.

Glen J. Kuban