Re: dating with dna

>I really don't have the time to continue this now.
>
>-Chip Pretzman

Sorry to have coaught you at a busy time, but I have a question. Won't the
rate of change in DNA be effected by generation time? I know that the
stock-standard answer from the test-tube boys is "No"  but I have never
heard a reasonable explanation as to why "No", particularly when this seems
to fly in the face of evolutionary processes as we currently understand
them. If generation time is short, then the potential for change in a given
time is greater than if generation time is long (the classic virus verses
mammal evolutionary dilema, we can't evolve at their rate because the
difference in generation time is so great). So why won't varying generation
times effect DNA separation dates?

Cheers, Paul

pwillis@ozemail.com.au