Re: Re2: Thylacinids and dasyurids ???

>>Ping, no. Thank you for playing. The latest analyses show that thylacinids
>>are related to dasyurids which, as a group, maintain the primitive
>>condition of carnivory.
>
>What are Thylacinids and Dasyurids?  Just wondering.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Raptor RKC (Rachel Clark)

Sorry everyone for digging up old stuff, but that is the lot of a
palaeontologist. I have been away from the computer for a week looking at a
devonian fish site in central NSW (anyone interested in 3,000 Bothriolepis?
I thought not).

Anyway, back to the question. Thylacinids are the group that includes the
thylacine, better known as the Tasmanian Wolf or Tasmanian Tiger, which
went extinct in 1936 (No Darren, they are all dead). Dasyurids are the
group of marsupial carnivores that includes Dasyurus (the Native Cats or
Quolls), Sarcophilus (The Tasmanian Devil), Antechinus (Marsupial Mice,
Sminthopsis (Dunnarts) and a swag of other pouched nasties.

Cheers, Paul

pwillis@ozemail.com.au