Re: T-rex arms

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995 DPterosaur@aol.com wrote:

> My response:
> T-rex arms have the same function that mononykid arms had, grappling mates.
>  They are good only in close proximity, they are very strong and (hopefully)
> they do not puncture.
>
> Comments?

        With the robust nature of those limbs, I think that Mononykus
would be able to do more than just grip mates. They could probably rip
them apart. As for T. rex arms, if I remember the numbers correctly, the
male and female specimens found can respectively pull with 450 and 800
lbs per arm. Why females would need to grapple with mates isn't
explained. I saw a cast as well, and if memory serves, it was a female
with a huge rugosity on the Humerus? from where it had pulled a muscle
off the bone. It had done this, one of the Larsons said (don't remember
which one) by holding onto something very big that pulled away from the
T. rex. Certainly they could have been of some use for this, but they
didn't evolve specifically for that function.