Re: BAAD BCF

In a message dated 95-11-30 17:42:13 EST, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

>In fact I am inclined to doubt this if only because it seems to have evolved
>first in carnivorous forms, leading me to suspect that reaching new sources
>of food may have been more important.

Not as important as escaping predators, because the animals cannot know in
advance that food will be found in new regimes. And I think flight evolved
first in insectivorous forms, not carnivorous forms, even in the case of
avian dinosaurs. I might just buy the evolution of avian flight as enhancing
the pursuit of flying insects--although many insects are caught while resting
rather than flying--but what other sources of food could be reached by flying
that couldn't be reached by other, less energetically costly means?