Re: Head-bobbing

>Of course, there is the question of crocodiles.  Do they use head-bobbing?
>If not, either they lost that feature or the behavior evolved independantly
>in lepidosaurs and birds.
>
>Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.

The following is taken from Jeffrey Lang's chapter on social behaviour in
Ross, ed. Crocodiles and Alligators, Facts on File1989, p. 108:

"In many species, snout lifting is an easily recognizable behavior because
the movement is slow and exaggerated.  When  approached by a dominant male,
an animal lifts its snout out of the water, opens its jaws and holds its
head stationary for a period of time. Further approach usually elicits
deliberate movements of the snout upward until the approach is halted.... in
many of these species snout lifting is a prominent behavior during the
initial stages of courtship.  In courtship preliminaries, both sexes often
lift their snouts in unison and sometimes cross snouts while touching the
partner's head."

I wonder if this behavior is a modification of head-bobbing appropriate to
animals that do most of their displaying in the water?
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5