Re: Longisquama (was: Flightly PaleoWorld)

In a message dated 95-11-29 11:37:42 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>Actualy, Maniraptora's definition is not contingent on any particular
>derived characters.  Maniraptora = birds and all taxa sharing a more recent
>common ancestor with birds than with Ornithomimidae.  Of course, we are all
>agreed that Maniraptora probably includes Deinonychus and Archie, but almost
>certainly excludes Longisquama.

Absolutely excludes Longisquama!

Over the past few years, I've followed the gradual decoupling of the
definitions of clades from their diagnoses, and I'm not so sure this is a
useful trend. After all, the clades must ultimately go back to the character
matrices that diagnose them.