Re: Re: Longisquama (was: Flightly PaleoWorld)

>In BCF, "protobird" is not "maniraptor," of course. "Maniraptor" is an
>advanced stage of avian evolution, describing a theropod/bird with
>flight-stroke forearms/wings (e.g., _Archaeopteryx_, _Deinonychus_, or any
>modern avian for that matter). The "protobird" _Longisquama_ was nowhere
>nearly that derived.

Actualy, Maniraptora's definition is not contingent on any particular
derived characters.  Maniraptora = birds and all taxa sharing a more recent
common ancestor with birds than with Ornithomimidae.  Of course, we are all
agreed that Maniraptora probably includes Deinonychus and Archie, but almost
certainly excludes Longisquama.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology