Re: Re: Longisquama (was: Flightly PaleoWorld)

>George O. <Dinogeorge@aol.com> writes:
>>What's a pseudosuchian?
>
>My apologies...Examining my more current dinosaur references, I find that
>this term is apparently archaic.  It referred to a group (apparently not
>phylogenically kosher) of theropod-like advanced thecodontians.
>
>                             -- Dave
Actually, you still haven't been looking at the right refs.  :-)
Pseudosuchia is phylogenetically defined as crocodilians and all taxa
sharing a more recent ancestor with crocs than with birds.  The taxon
"Crurotarsi", which some prefer, is a junior objective synonym.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland