Re: SCRAPPING TYRANNOSAURS..

>> Well, cassowaries, like fighting cocks (I actually HAVE seen a cockfight,
>> but a mock one, many years ago in Mexico, in which the birds' spurs were
>> outfitted with tiny boxing gloves), do not stand on one leg and kick - they
>> leap into the air and slash out (in the case of cassowaries which use  a
>> forward-pointing claw) or strike outwards and downwards (for fighting cocks)
>> with both feet simultaneously.  A cassowary will also, according to the
>Given the small mass of the bird, jumping attacks are probably more
>feasible. A rex is heavier, but could have used its tail as a counter weight
>for kicking (or for holding prey/opponent away/down). Jumping of some
>kind is most certainly in the repertoire tho.
>
>+----------+    Rich Travsky   RTRAVSKY @ UWYO . EDU

I certainly find it hard to imagine Tyrannosaurus acting like a cassowary!
But for a dinosaur the size of Deinonychus (which probably weighed no more
than a cassowary) I have no trouble imagining it doing so.

My suspicion is that T. rex's chief weaponry was at the head end, but that
is just a suspicion.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5