Re: SCRAPPING TYRANNOSAURS..

On Tue, 28 Nov 1995, Jay Reynolds Freeman wrote:

> > what do modern analogs - say an ostrich - do?
>
>   I have heard it said that when modern large flightless birds
> cannot run away from a threat, they kick with great effectiveness.
> I think I remember hearing that humans have been occasionally
> disemboweled, and occasionally have had their heads separated
> from their necks, by such kicks.  But I don't remember my sources
> well enough to cite them.
>                                            --  Jay Freeman
        Cassowaries have a mean second toe claw that can disembowel with
a kick. Ostriches have purportedly killed lions with kicks. And of
course, horses and asses will kick out with their hooves.
        As for actual intraspecific combat, I haven't heard about the
ratites using their feet this way, but 'roos do. They face off, punching
each other with their forelimbs and leaning back on their tails to kick
their opponents in the chest. Apparently kangaroos have pretty tough
chests, because I've heard they can gut a human with those kicks.
        And a predatory pes: Velociraptor, of course. And I've seen
housecats grip a toy with their claws and kick at it with the back feet.
There's Noasaurus, too, with an independently evolved kick-claw.