Re: Longisquama (was: Flightly PaleoWorld)

In a message dated 95-11-28 17:58:14 EST, DAVEH47@delphi.com (Dave
Hardenbrook) writes:

>George O. <Dinogeorge@aol.com> writes:
>>What's a pseudosuchian?
>
>My apologies...Examining my more current dinosaur references, I find that
>this term is apparently archaic.  It referred to a group (apparently not
>phylogenically kosher) of theropod-like advanced thecodontians.
>
>                             -- Dave
>

>P.S. When I see the word "protobird" I automatically think of the term as
>described by G.S. Paul (Protobird ~= Maniraptor), not BCF theory.

The trouble is that there are so many definitions of "pseudosuchian" that I
really didn't know which one you meant(!).

In BCF, "protobird" is not "maniraptor," of course. "Maniraptor" is an
advanced stage of avian evolution, describing a theropod/bird with
flight-stroke forearms/wings (e.g., _Archaeopteryx_, _Deinonychus_, or any
modern avian for that matter). The "protobird" _Longisquama_ was nowhere
nearly that derived.