Re: DIGIT I AS DEW-CLAW..

In a message dated 95-11-27 14:54:17 EST, Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

>Roosters use
>their dew claws for fighting (and it gets deadly when razors are attached to
>the claws in illegal cockfighting), so I would imagine dew claws retained at
>least this use among theropods.

Well, I certainly had no idea that this thread would be so active when I
asked the question!  :o)
Anyway...while I have never really witnessed a cock-fight (with or without
the razor blade accessories), it does seem reasonable that this sort of thing
might have taken place among theropods for intraspecific combat - males
fighting over females, that sort of thing - doesn't it?
Then again, maybe tyrannosaurs just arm-wrestled each-other....

DSmith.