Re: HERBIVORES HAVE HALLUX TOO..

>Secretary birds have really short, weak toes that don't curve much, and can't
>really grip things too well. They are unlike the long, flexible toes of
>'typical' non-avian theropods and are specially adapted for stamping on snakes
>and other small fare.

This is correct (comes of relying on memory too much) - in effect
secretarybirds stomp their prey to death.

>> An opposable foot can be
>> used to subdue small reptiles or even extract them from burrows (as the
>> living Harrier-hawks of Africa and Crane-hawk of the New World Tropics do
>> very efficiently).
>
>A ?Pliocene Aussie raptor (ornithological sense) that could do this was
reported
>recently, but I'm unaware of any technical lit. Can anyone help?

On this point - the living species have, apparently convergently, evolved a
highly-specialized ankle joint that allows them to reach into crevices and
holes on vertical trunks from almost any position.  It occurs to me that the
presence of such a joint in a small theropod might well be a strong
indicator of arboreal foraging of this type.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5