Fwd: DIGIT I AS DEW-CLAW..

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: DIGIT I AS DEW-CLAW..
Date:    95-11-27 11:56:33 EST
To:      dwn194@soton.ac.uk

> But in
>canids, it seems damn useless.. is anybody aware of any uses it might have?
>So,
>in ways, it might be analogous to the theropodan hallux.. might... might.

In the canid that owns our house and takes me for walks twice a day, I have
yet to observe any purpose for the dew claw whatsoever, except on occasion to
be a source of minor irritation when it becomes injured/scraped up after she
chases squirrels, etc. Pet shops sometimes recommend having the dew claws
removed for this reason.