Re: Reversed Hallux in Theropods: a query

In a message dated 95-11-25 05:43:57 EST, DSmith0531 writes (quoting me):

<< The trouble is, you've seen it reconstructed only in cursorial theropods,
in
which it was invariably reduced and repositioned. >>

The reconstruction and repositioning I speak of here are generally done by
the persons mounting the specimens. In nature, the joint was very loose,
which is why the preparators could get away with this. The digit can be
turned to point either forward, toward the other digits (the retroverted
position), backward, toward the rear of the foot more or less in line with
the other digits (the unretroverted position), or even sideways (a
semi-retroverted position).