Re: Reversed Hallux in Theropods: a query

In a message dated 95-11-24 23:35:44 EST, Dinogeorge writes:

<< The alternative is the BADD theory, in which the hallux loses its proximal
end, shrinks, retroverts for no evident reason to a quite specific site on
the back of metatarsal II, and then sits there with a dangling digit for
about 35 million years on almost every known theropod from ceratosaurians to
tyrannosaurians awaiting future use as a perching organ in the one theropod
lineage that evolved into birds. >>

So the theropods _do_ possess a reversed hallux, including the non-arboreal
forms? But you said earlier:

"The trouble is, you've seen it reconstructed only in cursorial theropods, in
which it was invariably reduced and repositioned. But if you want to see what
the retroverted hallux really looked like in the arboreal forms, take a look
at Luis Chiappe's paper on his Patagonian enantiornithan bird specimen...."

So, was it repositioned _to_ the reversed position, or _back_ to it's
 original (primitive) position?  I'm somewhat confused... (as you can
probably tell) - I'm not _trying_ to be difficult...Honest!  :o)

DSmith.