Re: DINOSAUR digest 710

>Date: Tue, 21 Nov 95 22:26 EST
>From: jpoling@infinet.com (Jeff Poling)
>To: dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
>Subject: Re: Publishing on the WEB

>>Granted, we cannot see evolution happening today=
>> (unless you count virus mutations), so this may hinder our efforts.

>  Actually, there's quite a few examples of evolution ongoing today.  The
>Galapogos finches come to mind as just one well-known example.

        I recall reading/hearing something quite recently that recent
experiments have shown that the brand of fire ants currently devouring the
south can no longer interbreed with their South American ancestors.
Whatever else is different, I don't know, but I think this qualifies as
evolution!

Jerry D. Harris                       (214) 768-2750
Shuler Museum of Paleontology         FAX:  (214) 768-2701
Southern Methodist University         jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu
Box 750395                            (Compuserve:  73132,3372)
Dallas  TX  75275-0395

GILDING THE LILY?

        Items served on the menu for the dinner served in the _Iguanodon_
model at Crystal Palace, 1853:  Roast Turkey, Raised Pigeon Pie, Boiled
Chicken in Celery Sauce, Pheasants, Woodcocks, and Snipes (i.e., dead
theropods).