Re: Publishing on the WEB, DinoStore After Thanksgiving Sale

   DinoStore After Thanksgiving sale.  All products 10% off.  Good Nov. 24 only.

>Mathematicians and physicists have to deal with cranks (incl perpetual motion
>folks) just like we have to deal with creationists. To see how bad it is read
>Skeptical Inquiry, etc. The erview system is not what makes good science, it
>is good science that makes good science. The review system is unscientific,
>because its effectiveness at any given time is untestable! (You can only do a
>study to see if the review system worked decades later, after the quality of
>any time's science can be judged.) The review system is actually slowing down
>the progress in the field. It is time we stopped letting the creationists
>force us to keep using a system that evolved to solve journal editing
>problems.
>
>After all, On the Origin of Species was not reviewed! Sold very well too.

   Didn't Bakker create his journal (_Hunteria_?) to provide a publication
for himself and others so that they would no longer have to contend with the
review system?  Dissatisfaction in the review system appears to have been
growing for quite some time.  Why has there been no serious attempt to
revise it .... or maybe the question should be, what is keeping a new system
from being devised?

** THE DINOSTORE.  Your one stop shop for Dinosaur collectibles, fossil      **
** replicas, and other Dinosaur products.  View our on-line catalog, Dinosaur**
** essays by enthusiasts and paleontologists, and the Dinosaur Mailing List  **
** Dictionary and Genera List at http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/  Price     **
** catalog current as of 11/15/95. Sauropods are the Dinosaur of the Month.  **