Re: SWIMMIN' CRITTERS..

> In fact, aside from the specialized land birds (hummingbirds, swifts,
> swallows, martins, colies all being good examples), unfairly
> mutated domestic dogs, and pathetic humans, all tetrapods are competent
> swimmers.

Someone recently pointed out that nitpicking is fun, so in that spirit I
can suggest one tetrapod that can't swim (or at least doesn't want to).
The Shingleback Skink - Tiliqua rugosa (or sleepy lizard where I come
from) seems to be to dense to float. When they fall into a body of water
they simply crawl slowly along the bottom until they find a way out
(observation based on a friends captive colony). Their density may be due
to their enlarged armour-like scales with dense bony cores. It is also
interesting to note that these lizards break other rules. They are true
poikilothermic ectotherms, yet they show advanced parental care with the
offspring staying with the mother for about a year. They also maintain
monogamous relationships with high fidelity. What does this have to do
with dinosaurs? - not much.

Adam Yates .