Re: human/dinosaur co-existance

>The dinosaur tracks at Glen Rose, Texas were recently mentioned by Glen
>Kuban, and it brought to mind a question.  I saw the tracks at Glen Rose
>that supposedly have human footprints from the same time period crossing
>them.  What is the general consensus on this topic?  Did humans and
>dinosaurs co-exist?

Ummmmm......

Well, for us cladists, humans coexist with 9000 species of highly derived
maniraptoran coelurosaurs (aka, birds), and many Americans are looking
forward to eating a particularly large form later this week.

However, the last nonavian dinosaur (or just plain dinosaur for the
phylogenetic taxonomy impaired) died out around 65 million years ago, while
the human-chimp divergance is something like 6 million years ago, and the
earliest members of our species (Homo sapiens) is around 900,000 years ago.

So, no, humans missed the last nonavian dinosaurs by some 64 million years.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland