Re: DINOSAUR digest 705

>Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 20:36:43 -0800
>From: mstern@baker.cnw.com (Michael Sternberg)
>To: dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
>Subject: Re: DINOSAUR digest 702

>Jerry- for a test, you could download one of my Chuckanut flora photos from
>my web site and try printing it out.  The URL is
>http://www.cnw.com/~mstern/pics.html , you can ftp it as well.
>
>The photos were scanned with an HP Scanner, composed and optimized for video
>display using Photoshop and saved in jpeg format.  I chose to keep them in
>color, although 256 greyscale would have resulted in smaller files.  I am
>just beginning to document all my fossils on film and last week purchased a
>stereoscope for higher magnifications as necessary.  Needless to say, I have
>a lot to learn about lighting and image orientation.  And a good macro lens
>would really help too (are you listening Santa?).

        Well, sounds like you already know more about it than _I_ do!  8-)
'Course, if you can buy a stereoscope, then you've got more money to play
with all those cool toys than I do, too (ah, the perils of studenthood...)
;-)  The question, though, is:  what are the techniques of using a scanner,
Photoshop (or somesuch program) and a printer into printing the best images
one can get?

Jerry D. Harris                       (214) 768-2750
Shuler Museum of Paleontology         FAX:  (214) 768-2701
Southern Methodist University         jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu
Box 750395                            (Compuserve:  73132,3372)
Dallas  TX  75275-0395

"And she looked like she had sex
With a _Tyrannosaurus rex_."

                 --  Marillion, "Cannibal Surfer Babe," _Afraid of Sunlight_