Re: Erlikosaurus =? Segnosaurus?

In a message dated 95-11-19 03:31:59 EST, DSmith0531@aol.com writes:

> Anyway, my question is this (as if you couldn't
>tell by the Subject):  is it possible that _Erlikosaurus_ and _Segnosaurus_
>actually belong to the same genus, and possibly even species?

The two genera are distinguishable by the size and number of their teeth:
_Erlikosaurus_ had more teeth and smaller teeth than did _Segnosaurus_,
particularly in the dentary (31 versus 24). The teeth also had different
shapes. In _Erlikosaurus_ the dentary had a longer, more prominent lateral
shelf. Whatever bones are known in common (not many: dentary, humerus,
vertebrae, pedal bones) between the two genera usually differ in various
minor but significant ways. They probably are two different but sympatric
genera.