Re: DINOSAUR digest 702

Hi all,

Well, in the screenprinting industry we use 65-85 lines per inch in halftone
work, and we CAN get excellent results. I use a 600 DPI tabloid size laser
printer to set images and render color seperations, which give good results.
The fact is not all laser printers are created equal, and without an Adobe
Postscript interpreter halftones do not come out all that great. My GCC
(brand name) printer has very good contrast and detail. I would go as far as
to say it can do better on greyscale images than most images I see in other
publications.

While it is true that raster image processors, and imagesetters in general,
produce very fine dots this is not the determining factor in image quality.
After a certain point these dots start to blend together too much, and fool
the eye (brain) into believing printed artifacts are part of the image.

What has this to do with anything?(dinosaurs). If we begin to download files,
papers, about dinosaurs which contain photo reproductions the quality of the
printer(output) becomes critical. Critical only if absolute reproduction is
required. Most people could get the drift of a scanned photo at 300 DPI, but
this again depends on the printer and programing used to output the work.

Perhaps some laser printers print the same size dots, but mine does not. If I
had an image with a scanned resolution of 900-1200 ppi (pixels per inch), and
printed it at 85 - 105 lpi (lines per inch), the result would be as good as
any greyscale image needs to be. Of course I am a professional graphic freak,
and knowing how to squeeze that little bit extra out of the equipment is
knowledge most people do not posses. That's why I get the big bucks, NOT!

Roger A. Stephenson