Re: DINOSAUR digest 702

In a message dated 95-11-16 16:48:28 EST, jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu (Jerry
D. Harris) writes:

> I know that there are interesting
>tricks one can perform with a scanner and printer to get output to be at
>higher resolution than is otherwise listed as nominal for the printer
>(something like scanning at a very low resolution but printing at a high
>one, or vice-versa, or something like that) -- could the same be done with
>a software program?

The big problem with using laser printers is that 600 dpi resolution is still
not good enough to reproduce halftones effectively. Although a halftone is
generally a far coarser screen than 600 dpi, the range of sizes of the
individual dots is virtually infinite, which allows a great deal of subtle
shading effects, etc. With a laser printer at 600 dpi, what you get is
essentially two sizes of dot: no dot, or all dot. Typically, a good
photoimager runs at 2400 dpi, with which one may draw dots in a range of
different sizes at conventional halftone screen resolutions. But this kind of
resolution is still very expensive for the average laser printer.

I would imagine that PC laser-imaging technology will eventually catch up
with today's commercial printing standards and remove this particular
objection to electronic publishing.