Re: Dinosaur illustrations

       Artists take "cracks' at things all the time, and sometimes don't
     need ANY bone at all to attempt to re-create an animal.  If I (as an
     artist) were to try and show what I thought the ancestor to
     Archeopteryx were, I have NO physical evidence at all for this
     ancestor, but lots of clues in what is known about the animal it
     produced.
        Artists have full freedom to do what ever the heck they want and
     aren't required by some governing body to include only the known
     facts.  As it should be.
        Artists should TRY to display facts in a scientific journal, but
     much of 'sketchy' scientific evidence is having paleontologists argue
     whether the evidence means X or Y.   Artists _tend_ to have opinions
     about such things, just as paleontologists do.  And FORTUNATELY have
     the freedom to depict the view they WANT to display.  And the freedom
     to get nasty comments about it form their peer groups if they are
     found to be wrong, or if the particular feature represented is
     outdated by new discoveries on that subject.
        Publishers should perhaps use descretion in what they display as
     "known" verses "artist's impression".  Publishers should be aware just
     what it is they are recieving from the illustrator, and whether the
     artist feels the illustration is truly representative, or a flight of
     fancy.

     I'm sorry if this harsh reply, but the original comment offended me.

     -Betty Cunningham
     Illustator, animator, and likes to collect dead things