Re: DINOSAUR digest 701

>The Kentucky Carboniferous prints were illustrated in about 1940 in _Scientific
>American_.  The author of that article thought they were the prints of a
>large amphibian.  However, the article in the 1983 issue of the _Journal of
>Geological Education_ shows that they are Indian petroglyphs.  Not only
>are the toes all wrong, but they change number from print to print. Even more
>damning is the fact that the "tracks" cut across bedding.  Unfortunately, it
>is my understanding that these "tracks" were vandalized/stolen by artifact
>collectors some years back.  We can expect the creationists to mystery monger
>these carvings for years to come.

 Ah yes; thanks for the clarification -- I just yanked the artilce out for
the reference, and depended on my always undependable memory for the
information therein.  Someday I'll learn...  ;-)

Jerry D. Harris                       (214) 768-2750
Shuler Museum of Paleontology         FAX:  (214) 768-2701
Southern Methodist University         jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu
Box 750395                            (Compuserve:  73132,3372)
Dallas  TX  75275-0395

"And she looked like she had sex
With a _Tyrannosaurus rex_."

                 --  Marillion, "Cannibal Surfer Babe," _Afraid of Sunlight_