Electronic Publishing

 Betty Cunningham wrote:

>What, exactly, is keeping you guys (read 'professional paleontologists"
>from...Publishing on the NET

 During the PaleoNet Users' Meeting last week at the Geological Society
of America Convention, there was a discussion of electronic publishing.
One problem (it was pointed out) is that the International Code for
Zoological Nomencature does not recognize electronic media as valid for
"publishing" taxonomic data (i.e. new species or revisions to existing
species).  It was suggested that if this is objectionable, that we send
our comments to the commision.  The speaker, who's name escapes me at
the moment, had voiced this to a member of the commision who remarked
that it was the first request for such an option!

  Brian

      Brian J. O'Neill                    Phone:  (504) 588-4351
      Shell Offshore Inc.                 Room:   OSS-1812
      P.O. Box 61933                      E-mail: boneill@shellus.com
      New Orleans LA  70161               Profs:  bjo5