Re: Great Mambo Dinosaurs

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995 GSP1954@aol.com wrote:

> I have also been working on the hypothesis of terramegathermy, which argues
> that land giants over one tonne must have high metabolic rates in order to
> power
>  the large, powerful hearts needed to oxygenate the large limb muscles needed
> to carry great mass in 1 Gravity, and to pump blood up tall necks. Because
> many dinosaurs were over 1 tonne, high energy budgets are suggested.

        First, somebody please straighten me out on this- 1 ton= 2000
lbs. 1 long ton=2200 lbs. 1 tonne=1 metric tonne=approx 2200 lbs? Is this
right?
        Anyway, my question: what about Collossochelys (aka Geochelys?)
which is an obscenely big tortoise from India- a couple tons or so, if I
remember correctly. How does this fit in? What about Megalania? Wasn't it
about a ton in weight?