Re: 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

<< The second law applies to macroscopic objects. Quantum processes freely
disobey the second law at suitable size and time scales (e.g., the electron
wave in the hydrogen atom, which is a perpetual-motion machine for all
practical purposes; instantanteous pair-creation at arbitrary locations
within the vacuum; etc.), and at the Big Bang instant, when the universe was
the size of a quantum object, the second law did not apply to it, either.
God, being a macroscopic object (I would think), would have to obey the
second law just like any other macroscopic object. However, since there seem
to be no constraints on the concept of God, you could ascribe any abilities
to Him that you like. >>

Sorry, George.  I totally disagree.  No quantum process to my knowledge ever
violates the 2nd Law.  If that were the case, most of nuclear physics as we
know it wouldn't exist and it would be just as likely for hydrogen atoms to
fuse as for helium atoms to fission.  In some quantum processes, entropy
remains unchanged such as the electrons in a stable shell around an atom, but
2LT states that entropy never DECREASES so this is not a violation.  Even
spontaneous pair production usually results in immediate annihilation leaving
entropy unchanged.  Everything obeys 2LT as far as we know.

Some cosmologists have claimed that the differential between gravitic and
kinetic potential at the time of the Big Bang caused 2LT to come into
existence but I have never been able to follow their argument.  The driving
force in all known natural processes is the pursuit of increasing entropy.
 If 2LT was created at the Big Bang, what was the driving force behind it?

As for God, the classical western definition is that He is "transcendant"
which means that He is not anything in the universe either macroscopic or
microscopic.  If 2LT is a law of the universe, it would not apply to
something that is not a part of the universe.  As you stated though, there
are different ways of defining God and some (but not all) definitions would
have him subject to 2LT.

Art