Re: Baugh's pterosaur story

    Darren Naish recently posted a follow up to my review of
creationist Carl Baugh's claims, explaining the history of the story of
the pterosaur that stumbled out of a broken rock.
    I thank him for the additional information.  I want to mention,
however, that Baugh's version (and my recounting of it) did not mention
a rail tunnel--only that some workmen in a quarry broke open a rock,
and out staggered the pterodactyl.  Also, Naish and I may both be
right.  That is, I am pretty sure (and will check to be sure) that
somewhere in A.C. Doyle's _Lost World_ there is a reference to a
similar incident. If so, it would probably only mean that Doyle had
culled the story from the original newspaper account described by
Naish.
    One last thing.  I agree that the account may have been derived or
inspired by accounts of frogs or other animals coming out of broken
rocks.  While some of those probably are hoaxes, at least some probably
have some basis in truth.  Perhaps the most plausible explanation
(described in several sources) is that some eggs or tadpoles are
deposited or washed into a cavity in a rock.  One of the tadpoles might
survive and even grow into an adult, if enough water was present or
occassionally washed in, and enough insects wandered by for food.  The
frog might survive quite a while in this condition,  though leading a
pathetically boring life (until the rock was broke open, providing
enough excitement to make up for the boring period).

Glen J. Kuban