Re:Sorry, Mokele Membe again

Mokele-Membe African "living sauropod" (hereafter referred to as M-M)
reports must be true.   Nonsense.  First, although some people may have
lied, it is likely that most of the reports are simply based on
mistaken or inaccurate descriptions.  After all, most are based on
annecdotes from natives, requiring translation, and interpretation.
 Besides that, people are mistaken about observations all the time.
Sometimes dozens or hundreds of people are.  For example, as I was
leaving a movie one night on the campus of the College of Wooster in
Ohio, I and many other people around me saw an object with bright
lights move across the sky.  It made no noise, and did not look or act
like a helicopter or plane.  I was not sure what it was, but withheld
judgement as to its identity.  However, dozens of people around me went
zonkers, and were convinced it was a UFO from outer space.  The police
station recieved all kinds of reports to this effect.  The next day it
was confirmed that a weather ballon with lights did drift over the
campus.  The point is, Yes, hundreds of people CAN be mistaken about
something.
    In the case of M-M, besides the native descriptions which suffer
from translation and reliability questions, only a couple scientists
have reported seeing even part of the beast, and none have reported
seeing the whole animal.  And not even a SINGLE decent photo of the
thing, nor even photos or casts of its footprints, nor any bones or
skins, NOR ANY OTHER hard evidence.  Just anecdotal reports.  One of
the "scientists" who claims to have seen (a frenchman-I can look up his
name for anyone interested) wrote an article in the Journal of the
Intnl Society of Cryptozoology several years back.  I recall that he
stated that he spotted the animal in Lake Tele, at a distance of over a
hundred yards away.  Yet he was SURE it was Mokele Membe, despite the
fact that all he saw was its neck and head.  Moreover, a sketch he drew
in the article was so generic it could as easily been of a turtle
craning its neck out of the water.  In fact, amazingly, in the same
report the author mentioned seeing a huge turtle in the lake, whith a
shell over a meter long.  It does not take a brain surgeon to realize
that such a turtle with its head & neck sticking out of the water would
make a profile possibly mistaken for that of a sauropod, especially
from a long distance away on open water, where size is hard to judge.
Of course, his lens cap was accidentally left on the camera.
Besides that, if he was a legitimate cryptozoologist, why did he not
try to catch or document the turtle?  (To my knowledge no freshwater
turtles with a shell over a meter long are known).  Or is a giant
turtle too boring?
    Oh yes, as to the point that natives were shown pictures of a
sauropod and other animals, and picked the sauropod as MM.  Well, let
us suppose what they were seeing was a giant turtle (perhaps one whose
shell did not protrude much from the side of the body.  IN that case,
the MM would look MORE LIKE a sauropod than any other animal whose
picture might be shown to the natives (such as elephants, rhinos, etc).
I would like to know, were they shown pictures of a large turtle AND
sauropod?  Maybe in that case they would pick the turtle!
    At any rate without hard evidence, local anecdotes are not of much
scientific value.  Lots of people claim to have seen unicorns and
Leprechauns too.  There is no way to prove a hardy tribe of dinos did
not survive until the present.  I'd be thrilled if it did.  But I have
seen no convincing evidence for it (or Nessie), nor anything close.
So, lets move on.  We've got plent of real fossil dinos to work on!!

Glen

example, one of the more reknown reports was made by a frenchman (I
forget his name, it is irrelevant to the point being made) who claims
to have seen Mokele Membe on Lake Tele in the Congo, from a distance
of