Re: Lumpers and Splitters

In a message dated 95-10-29 23:52:36 EST, zooamy@zoo.latrobe.edu.au (Adam
Yates) writes:

>This makes
>Aublysodon mirandus a nomina dubium (a dubious name that cannot applied
>to any other fossil other than the holotype)  Therefore G.O. erected the
>name Stygvenator (not Sinraptor) for the species "A." molnaris which is
>based on diagnostic material
>(the Jordan Theropod - a snout of one of these "aublysodontines").

Teeth closely resembling those of Aublysodon are found in several genera,
including Shanshanosaurus, Stygivenator, Alectrosaurus, and the large unnamed
form from New Mexico (currently at the Oklahoma Museum of Natural History).
Unserrated premaxillary teeth with D-shaped cross-section are primitive for
Tyrannosauridae (and occur occasionally even in Albertosaurus; and perhaps
Allosaurus!--Phil Currie, pers. comm.). There's no hope for Aublysodon unless
at least a good snout with Aublysodon teeth is found in the Judith River
Formation of Montana (as a topotype). So far, we have yet to find a even
single Aublysodon tooth actually physically implanted in the jaw of any North
American tyrannosaurid. The best we've got are very closely associated teeth,
in the case of Stygivenator and the unnamed New Mexico form.