Re: Re: There Be Dragons

>>Because:
>>A. there is insufficient evidence that there is really anything there
>>   to study at all.
>You call hundreds of eyewitness accounts insuffiecient evidence?!

Yes.  Hundreds of eyewitnesses have seen Elvis walking the halls of K-Marts
across America, but that doesn't invalidate the conclusions of his death
certificate.  I used to be into cryptozoology, ancient astronauts, etc.,
until I came to an important discovery: people lie.

>>C. if such a large animal still existed, it would be fairly easy
>>   to loate and verify.
>I agree that one living in Loch Ness should have been found by now, but
>it's not like people are out there every day searching for the beast. The
>Loch Ness is very deep and quite long... plenty of room for a "living
>dinosaur", though I must say that's not what I think it is. I think it's
>probably a giant amphibian.

>> > Cryptozoology is full of speculation, and so is dinosaurology.
>>
>>Cryptozoology is nothing but speculation combined with unverified,
>>and unreliable, second-hand reports.
>I want you to go to a university library that has the Journal of
>Cryptozology. Read through them. Then tell me if it's juts speculation.
>Like any science, it has competent researchers, scientific groundings and
>reliable and verified reports. Cryptozoology is not a joke...anyone who
>thinks this is just ignorant...

I have read the JC.  Some of the papers are quite good; others are idle
speculation with a lot of fourteen letter words added in.  Falsifiable
hypothese are not the prime focus of most of them...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland