Re: Dinosaur genera list

In a message dated 95-10-28 03:33:36 EDT, dino@revelation.unomaha.edu (John
Schneiderman) writes:

>1) How many dinosaur finds are wanting to be described?

Probably hundreds. Potentially many thousands, but the manpower to write the
descriptions is sorely limited.

>2) How many dinosaurs already named are to be renamed (a new genus)?

Not very many, actually. The trend now seems to be turning to synonyming
genera and species (lumping) rather than naming or renaming new genera
(splitting). This is a statistical trend, by the way, stemming perhaps from
new concepts of what a genus or a species might be--not a conscious effort on
the part of paleontologists, as in, "Well, we've done enough splitting; it's
time to lump."