MARINE TRAFFIC (DELETE NOW!)

> But we're dealing with air-breathing critters.  With all the sea and air
> traffic today, shouldn't SOMEBODY have seen one of these '90s
> plesiosaurs?

Actually, though there is much more marine traffic nowadays than ever before,
trans-oceanic routes are relatively restricted. What is particularly interesting
is that, guided by sophisticated sonar and satellite tracking mechanisms, boats
do not get thrown miles off course, as they used to in earlier times of course.
Furthermore, more reliance on technology combined with the massive size of many
modern craft means that 'watch' responsibilities are greatly diminished
nowadays. I know someone who worked on this and come up with some real
interesting figures. Recently, a replica Viking ship was made, and the crew were
told to 'just count whales'. Because they were a) quiet, b) close to the surface
of the sea, and c) not guided by electronic tracking mechanisms, they saw loads!

Sea serpent sightings depend as much on cultural and technological variables as
the presence or absence of the creatures themselves, yet they still continue,
with 3 or more reported p.a.

Let's end the Nessie thread now please.

DARREN NAISH