Re: Progress in evolution and the origin of flight

Thanks very much for your insights on _Archaeopteryx_.  Forgive the
quibble, but I don't see -A.- as a "low-level" flyer with a road runner
lifestyle.

Structurally, -A.-'s wings as revealed by the Solenhofen fossils are
nearly identical with modern birds.  They're low aspect ratio wings, and
those are suggestive of swift, powerful flight.  Obviously, the lack of
a proper keel bone means that _A.-'s flight wasn't as efficient as, say,
a modern pigeon's--but from both an aerodynamic and a biomechanical
standpoint, I'd say you have a comparatively bloody good flyer.

Please don't crush my head too badly with your reply.

--Christopher